World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vedanta Society of Southern California

 

Vedanta Society of Southern California

Temple at the Society's headquarters in Hollywood

The Vedanta Society of Southern California, with its headquarters in Hollywood, was founded in 1930 by Swami Prabhavananda. The society is a branch of the Ramakrishna Order, and maintains subcenters in Pasadena, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Trabuco Canyon. It also maintains an archive of important materials relating to the society's history and to the early years of the Vedanta movement in America.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Activities 2
  • Branches 3
  • External links 4
  • References 5

History

Swami Prabhavananda came to Los Angeles in 1929 from Portland, Oregon, and formally established the society as a non-profit corporation in 1934. Prabhavananda led the society until his death in 1976. Swami Swahananda took over as head of the society in 1976, and continued as its head until his demise in 2012. Swami Sarvadevanda is the current head of the society.

Activities

The society offers lectures and classes, and also public pujas. Through its publisher, Vedanta Press, it publishes a number of books. It maintains three websites. The society attracts college students from all over America to experience monastic life first-hand, study vedanta, practice meditation, and research the lives of Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda, through its student program.

Branches

The society's branch in South Pasadena, California preserves a house in which Swami Vivekananda lived for six weeks in 1900. There is a monastery at Trabuco Canyon, 60 miles south of LA, which is also home to a sculpture of Vivekananda. There is a convent in Santa Barbara, a small monastery in San Diego, and a small retreat at Pinon Hills.

External links

  • Vedanta Society of Southern California
  • Vedanta Press and Catalog
  • Vedanta Archives

References

The society's website outlines its history and activities.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from iCloud eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.